Happy Birthday
(This should have been posted last Jan 31 but better late than never)
I love this guy.
He is the epitome of anti-cool. A bespectacled nerdy type who talks about boring and sometimes awkward stuff. Stuff you don’t normally tackle in a light conversation lest you be ostracized or branded as weird.
Hanging out with him may plunge your coolness factor to abysmal depths – you gotta face it… this is a superficial world where folks simply judge your coolness by the friends you hang out with
He has a fashion statement of a geek
He can be a slob and the way he tends to forget his stuff – from umbrellas to contact lens- is totally pathetic.
But despite all of these flaws I owe this guy a lot… and when I say a lot …I truly mean it.
He’s the one person who has truly influenced me about the way I see the world.
His steadfast faith is admirable. His childlike innocence about all things cynical and carnal is exceptional. His passion to make a difference is amazing.
His loyalty is unwavering. Once as head of a college organization, when almost all my staff abandoned me, he stood by my side. “ Jods, I will support you all the way.”
His words still ring in my ears, I doubt if not for his words of encouragement, I would have survived the ordeal.
I sometimes feel guilty. In my front of my other friends- the so-called cool ones- I would cajole him for his outdated beliefs. I would make fun of his principles and the things he stand for.
But my frivolity belies it all, for while I make fun of him, I silently and fervently pray that he would win.
For while the world is tough on guys like him, we are truly indebted to them.
He is a bastion of idealism, a source of my strength. In this world that has gone aberrant and compromising, it pays to know that there are still persons like him.
And am very blessed to have him as a friend.
To a very great buddy, an idol, an inspiration, a man of our times… Anton Overio…
Happy Birthday… at Maraming maraming salamat !
No comments:
Post a Comment