
Every time I go to China I couldn’t help but feel insecure. Out there, a billion people go on with their routines without even the slightest idea that my world here - the world as I came to know it- ever existed.
The very things woven into the fabric of my daily life – peso devaluation, monsoon rains, Simbang Gabi, Hello Garci ring tones, Friday night traffic, ChickenJoy- they are all unknown and meaningless in that part of the globe. The very things that define my reality, things that revolve around my universe- they have all been reduced to nothingness. Out there, my world and I are non-existent.
Nothing can be more unsettling. How can it be that the only world as I’ve come to know is not what it is?
Nothing can be more humbling. How can I be the center of the universe when out there I am nothing but a mere scrap of creation?
Despite this sense of vulnerability, I realized that there are things I have taken for granted.
Suddenly the thought of the never-ending political bickering, the horrendous Midnight sale traffic, the incessant fuel price increase, even the alligators in the congress couldn’t stop me from yearning to go home.
4 comments:
Haha... Not yet. I've never been to the Mainland. Have only been to Hawaii and I think it's a pretty cool place.
Hope to visit Utah some day though.
Thanks for dropping by.
Cheers !
hi jodl! nice blog here. you've always amazed me with your facility for languages - even while we were in high school. do you remember that poem you submitted for lagablab when i was literary editor - that one with the colors as topic? that was a real nice one. hope to see you in one of our alumni get togethers.
Hi Chris ! Thanks for dropping by. Salamat din for your kind words. Am flattened ...este flaterred.
Good memory you've got there. I do remember this one.
My other poem in Pinoy was the one about the barber coz at that time ampangit ng gupit ko. I remember may tampuhan pa nga tayo at that time. I recall nagtatype pa ako noon sa computer center sa fourth floor and you were smirking sa barber poem ko..(or more probably sa hair cut). Naging icebreaker nga ata yun sa atin para magkabati hehe. cheers !
Would like to help in the Homecoming preparations. I gave my contact info to Menggay. Thanks. See you soon !
HEHEHE! see you in december when i get back to manila. meanwhile, i think hagee, menggai, and jeff (chan) are coordinating the preps. see you!
Post a Comment