Saturday, February 18, 2006

Valentine Aftershock




Time to get sappy, mawkish, senti…

Hey I have an excuse, it’s still the week of Valentine’s.

Actually I hate Valentine’s. It is just an elaborate ploy by the bloody capitalists to make fools of the clueless XY-chromosomed species. We’re pressured to buy flowers and gifts as proof of our affection.

And where’s the justice there? Only a handful dine over a candlelight, watch a concert, stroll on a starry night while the rest (i.e the singles, heartbrokens and unclaimed gifts) are forced to stay at home, watch horror movies and eat blueberry cheesecake to assuage their loneliness. (ok ok sour graping lang po ng isang SMV 06 member)

But cynical, I am not. In fact in the spirit of Valentine’s let me share some snippets of lyrics playing in my CD player these past few weeks. Fancy what a 120mm disk can do – it can cool the hottest of heads during the grueling rush hour traffic in C5.

Notice how some lines of a song flash vignettes of your so-called life? So handy for folks like me who are morons when it comes to articulating this creepy thing called love. Now all I have to do is lift those lines.

(I know, I need to update my song list already – they ‘re very ancient- but I find the current songs playing on the airwaves lacking the oomph. Either that or I am tuned to the wrong stations)


Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking for by U2

I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I Don’t Want To Wait by Dido

I don't want to to wait for our lives to be over,
I want to know right now what will it be
I don't want to wait for our lives to be over,
Will it be yes or will it be...sorry?

Dreaming by Selena

Late at night when all the world is sleeping
I stay up late and think of you and I wish on a star
That somewhere you are thinking of me too

'Cause I'm dreaming of you tonight
'Til tomorrow I'll be holding you tight
And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be
Than here in my room dreaming about you and me

Hello by Lionel Richie

Hello, is it me you're looking for?
'Cause I wonder where you are
And I wonder what you do
Are you somewhere feeling lonely or is someone loving you?
Tell me how to win your heart
For I haven't got a clue
But let me start by saying ... I love you

Superman by Five For Fighting

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

Missing You by John Waite

In your world
I have no meaning
Though I'm trying hard
to understand
And it's my heart that's breaking
Down this long distance line tonight
I ain't missing you at all
Since you've been gone
Away
I ain't missing you
No matter
What my friends say

King of Wishful Thinking by Go West

I refuse to give in to my blues
That's not how it's going to be
And I deny the tears in my eyes
I don't want to let you see.. no
That you have made a hole in my heart
And now I've got to fool myself..

I'll get over you.. I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking..

(Special thanks to Jen A. for the Sunset photo. Hanep ah 3 Jens have been actively part of this blog. Jen S. the florist, Jen M. the lawyer and Jen A. the sunset-chaser. Mabuhay kayong lahat! Happy V !)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was Paula Cole who did "I Dont Want To Wait", not Dido. (Dido performed "Thank You" -- a sample of which you'll hear in Eminem's "Stan".)

Jodl said...

oo nga no... Thanks... hahaha...this entry has been sitting for a now and this is the only time someone spotted this oversight.

Cheers !