Friday, January 20, 2006

Response to the Message in a Bottle


A friend asked how the Jodl of 2006 would have responded to the Message in a bottle. So Cecille, here goes a rather long entry. Suffice to say my planned 3 entries for the week have been fulfilled.

Thanks Stan for the photo.




THE RESPONSE

January 20, 2006

Dear Jodl of 2001,

Hello there. Got your message. Though am not sure if the letter was meant for me or for some future version of us, the Jodl of 2011 maybe?

You threw a non-biodegradable mineral bottle to the sea? Tsk tsk.. your passionate environmentalist friends would crucify you. Better make it up for Mother Earth. Go plant kamachile or santol or any fruit-bearing tree in the backyard after reading this. And I mean it.

No, that bottle was never picked up. You failed to include the fourth scenario: saving a draft of the message in your journal and reading it a few years after.

An older, bolder and rather exhibitionist version of yourself (C’est moi) posted it on the net. Now the whole cyberspace knows what a sappy person you are. Tsk tsk tsk… Kidding.

The year now is 2006. We are five years apart. It’s kinda weird writing to you. I mean I don’t have any idea how to send this message to you ( time machines are not yet invented and will probably not be in my lifetime, I mean our lifetime, …whatever). But I do hope you get this message wherever you are in this time-space continuum. (Geez this is really weird, kinda like talking to yourself with a dose of Einstein and Wormholes and Twilight Zone kind of stuff… weird but kewl !)

At any rate today is JANUARY 20. At this date in your time, you, Aims, Meann and your first year class are in Davao for the Art Appreciation Field Trip.

How can I forget? You were checking in at the hotel when it was announced on national TV that Erap has stepped down and Gloria Macapagal Arroyo was sworn in as the new President. You screamed at the top of your lungs like some lunatic. Indeed it was a great time of rejoicing for the whole nation. Cory Aquino, Raul Roco, Loren Legarda, Franklin Drilon, Teofisto Guingona and GMA were crying and hugging each other at the Edsa Shrine. Mabuhay ang Edsa 2! Once again the Filipinos have proven the power of unity.

But your gut instincts were right bro. You knew it was too good to be true and that it would be a matter of time when politics would rear its ugly head. If I could tell you now how things went for the next 5 years you will be amazed.

I won’t give you the details but here are some hints.

A person would make a supreme sacrifice kuno only to make bawi.

GMA will choose a Vice president who will eventually be her antagonist.

One Antri-Estrada senator who cried copiously for committee refusal of opening the envelop eventually sided with Estrada in the 2004 elections.

A movie actor who once said he would never join politics would be a presidential candidate in 04 elections.

On hindsight, a person who could come up with an equation that would predict how politicians would align after a certain period, would be a friggin’ genius. I bet a predictive equation (assuming one can be derived) involving the factors and uncertainties and extraneous variables in politics would far beat the equations of Chaos Theory, Quantum Mechanics and Thermodynamics combined.

Wow am amazed with the unpredictability of politics Go figure bro!

I didn’t realize this letter is already getting long. Anyway I’m really enjoying this.

Know what? I suck. I mean it has been five years since you planned of buying that dream house. My progress so far? Zilch. Nada. Zero . I wish I could send you a winning combination of Lotto or something. And when you win, buy that beachfront property in Taringting you’ve been eyeing since high school.

But then again if you win, that would alter drastically the time- space continuum. The Jodl of 2006 would be a filthy rich millionaire and that means I, a corporate slave, an ordinary aliping saguiguilid would cease to exist (gasp!). No sir, I wish to continue my existence, worthless it may seem, so I guess I will not send you the winning numbers after all.

Remember the 6 degree theory mentioned by Chris Montemanyak ? That one can link to anyone in this planet through a max of 6 connections? Well that was the underlying concept of a revolutionary thing right now called Friendster.. You’ll get to know it in 2004 and it will somehow change your life. Plus there’s this exciting thing called blogging. You’ll love it. Just like the journal emails you’ve been sending from Mindanao. Only this time it’s like writing your journal naked in front of a big audience hehe.

You will get to have your closure in due time. Just be patient. Friendster would be the key to your closure. I know it has been a tough time for you. Finally deciding to give up the teaching job to go back to Manila and pursue your dream …our dream. I can’t guarantee you the ride will be smooth. The withdrawal would really be hard but it’s for the best. Sometimes it’s the pain, the emptiness and the longing that make us whole. ( Naks, ayan nagpakaprofound na naman kuno ako)

Still the romantic fool eh? I mean come on, you threw a message in a bottle right? That’s sooooo 20th century. It’s the 21st century already bro. People no longer believe in soul mates or destiny or messages in a bottle. The one person you’re born to love forever? Come on, get real! And you’re already in your 20s. Grow up!

Ok ok. Sorry. I may have sounded harsh. I was only testing your mettle.

Let’s face it. How many guys at your age throw some sappy message in a bottle? Probably one in a thousand. Probably even one in a million. You see, my point exactly. You’re unique. Nah, weird is the more appropriate term.

You’re special… . No kidding. Kumbaga sa child, you’re a special child. hehehe

Kumbaga sa mga birds, you’re a Pithecophaga jefferyi a dying breed.

Kumbaga sa animal kingdom you’re an endangered species. Doomed for extinction.

So you see, the odds are against you. Better change with the changing times. Be more practical. Give it up man. If you want to survive go with the flow. Succumb to the banalities of life. Believe me… it’s liberating.

There now. I was just testing how strong you would hold on to your ideals. You don’t think for one sec I would forsake you, do you? A lot may find your act of throwing that message in a bottle, pathetic if not mawkish, foolish if not weird.

But you know what? I am proud of what you did. Many many years from now I would have a wonderful story to tell my kids.

Yes the world is no longer a romantic place. It is a harsh place for dreamers like you. For dreamers like us. But so long as there are people who see the romance and the possibilities, there is still hope.

Yes I have received your message and the message is clear. There is hope.

Hold your head up young man. I’m proud of you.


Jodl of 2006

P.S. You will be held up in an FX in the year 2002. That’s the closest thing you’ll have for a life-threatening experience. It will make you appreciate life more. I don’t want to alter much the time-space continuum but if you could just save the phone numbers of your 2 unknown text mates in another file it’ll be great. I have forever lost them.

No comments: